I’m a big quote guy, no two ways about it. And the more you look at your favorite quotes on a daily basis, the more you’ll find yourself personifying them in your actions.
Regarding #1, I think it is an extremely powerful construct of words. We’re all going to lose the people close to us in life at some point; however, how many of your close family and friends know how much they mean to you while they’re still alive and kicking? If someone means a lot to you, tell them! Never under-estimate the power of vulnerability, especially when it comes to building trust in a relationship. With that in mind, here are the Top 10 Mailbag Quotes from 2015:
1. “If you admire somebody you should go ahead and tell ‘em. People never get the flowers while they can still smell ’em.” – Kanye West
2. “Aim for respect, not affection. Keep your hearts of gold, just make sure your spines are made of steel.” – Maureen Sabia
3. “It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique. It’s not easy, but if you accept your misfortune and handle it right. Your perceived failure can become a catalyst for profound reinvention” – Conan O’Brian
4. “They’re collecting ‘likes’ as opposed to engaging. It’s not a numbers game. But that attitude isn’t inherent to online relationships. To some extent, people have used the Internet as an excuse to be transactional and hide from real relationships. People have blamed technology and said it’s made us less relational and more transactional. But [if that’s the case], that’s your own damn fault. It’s up to us how intimate, candid, and vulnerable we want to be in this medium.” – Keith Ferazzi
5. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Bob Schiller
6. “We tend to steer our lives in the direction of the lessons we need to learn.” – Don Campbell
7. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” – Buddha
8. “The more vulnerable I am, the less vulnerable I am” – Mike Cullen (colleague of mine at Ferus)
9. “Opportunity often comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat.” – Napoleon Hill
10. “In your life there will always be those who judge you. There will be those who judge you who don’t have a clue who you are, or what you are really about. There will be those who judge you who aren’t living to their fullest potential themselves. And there will even be those who judge you that know you best just because they may envy your drive, or the road that you are on towards success and happiness in your life. In the end, most people will judge you, so instead of worrying about what people think, do whatever may make you the happiest in life.” – Anonymous
* Wilcard: I was given this card on my birthday a few years a few years that went like this on the front… I have kept it close ever since.