Top O’ The Morning Compadre,
Feels good, it’s Friday isn’t it? Check mate!
September is one of my favorite months of the year for many reasons but front and center is that it is a month that allows you to recalibrate your daily routine (from fitness to waking up early to eating healthier to fewer wobbly pops) and reassess your personal and professional/career goals. Whether it’s going into grade 1, freshman year, or strolling into the office, I always look forward to this month as it brings with it renewed vitality and clarity on your life’s ambitions if you take the time to reflect, recharge and re-instill the self-discipline required. For me, the self-discipline piece is key. It often tends to sway during the summer months and while it’s not easy to break bad habits, it just has to be done.
I’m off to hideout at the lake this weekend to chisel away at some personal initiatives I’m working on with the intention of finishing off 2016 strong. I hope you’re able to carve out some time this weekend to hone in on what you’re aiming for. I’d like nothing more than to see at the finish line!
- “Be your reputation, early and often, and you’re more likely to have a reputation you’re glad to own.” – Seth Godin with an awesome piece titled “Three Things to Keep in Mind About Your Reputation“
- Most people, including myself, thought the KHL is the Russian hockey league that any NHL player who breaches their contract opts to play in instead… Turns out, there’s another KHL and it’s in Kenya. Yes, in the heart of downtown Nairobi…
- Meet Bernard the Roughneck. He’s become quite the legend since he showed up in opposition to the Kinder Morgan protest in British Columbia. He’s provided a voice for many in the oil & gas industry in Western Canada. I won’t comment on Rebel Media’s “sponsorship” of sorts because it is evidently very biased and going down that road opens up an argument that is a whole other can of fish. However, I truly think Bernard means well and provides a perspective seemingly often forgotten by many Canadians in opposition to an industry that contributes a great deal to the Canadian economy (as presented in Canadian Parliament yesterday).
- Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland… Supposedly, the ultimate in East Coast Canadian luxury experiences. I have only ever heard of this gem in the press and elsewhere on the Internet. It looks absolutely amazing but I really don’t know much about it… That’s okay though as I have a great deal of work to do and money to save if I intend on staying there anytime soon (even if just for a night)! I’m curious though, has anyone stayed there or know much about this bucket list destination?
- This is a pretty awesome looking all-in-one travel app from Google -> Google Trips Thanks to my pal in Toronto, Brett, for the heads up on this app!
Song of the Week: You’ve all heard Gravity by John Mayer but perhaps not this version… And it is oh so smooth. Sit back and relax with Gravity, Live at the Nokia Theatre in 08′.
Quote of the Week: “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” – George Carlin
I guess I should mention I got my first ever hole in one last weekend!! Big shout-out to Sudsy, one of my playing partners and loyal Mailbag reader, for being such a beauty to golf with.
Have a Great Weekend,